Friday, 9 December 2016

Initial Ideas for Costume and Makeup

From my research into makeup and costume I came up with the ideas that I will use a female lead to in some ways go against the conventions of the Proppian character of the Villian as they are more often than not a male.
In terms on makeup I tried to achieve a pale face look using a small amount of white face paint. I found in certain films like 'The Others' this was very effective and common in psychological thriller films so continued this convention in my own film.
 In addition to this, I applied dark browns, blacks and reds to create a really 'tired look' to convey the idea that she is almost dead-like. This idea was inspired by my research and the film 'Gothika' in which the main character had very dark circles under her eyes and I found this suitable for the genre therefore recreated it when coming up with the ideas for my charcter.






The costume was a very simply process due to the fact that in my research none of the costumes were extravagant and just featured a long white/blue dress or gown. I found this in the psychological thriller film 'Gothika', 'Shutter Island' and the thrilling series 'American Horror Story: Asylum'.
Personally, this was very daunting and creepy. I also feel like this would fit perfectly within my opening sequence so the costume I used was a white/blue hostpital gown. Likewise, this will also help the audience to understand the narrative from the use of this type of costume and understand that she is in an Asylum/Hostpital.

No comments:

Post a Comment