Monday, 5 December 2016

Costume and Makeup Research

In order to create my costume and makeup idea I researched psychological thrillers in which followed a similar story to my initial ideas, for example an 1920's setting and featuring characters who find themselves in an asylum.
I researched the psychological thrillers that are: the Silence of the Lambs, The Others, Shutter Island, American horror story: Asylum and Gothika.


Through researching both costume and makeup within this genre it allowed me to understand that makeup isn't very intense and it very minimalistic, usually featuring dark circles under the eyes and a very pale face, I like this idea of a dead, basic look and will hopefully achieve this makeup look when creating the look of my character.
As for costume, again nothing too much is standing out in all of these films. The colour of the costumes consist of one colour and it seems like white/blue is a common convention. The costume in the pictures above show the costume as being dirty and hospital like which I want to continue through my opening sequence.
Due to the fact that we have chosen for our film to take place in the 1920's-1930's the old fashioned costume will help us get across to our target audience that our film is set in the past. The 'old fashioned' look is composed of simple, dull, vintage clothing which can be seen in the psychological film 'The Others'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment